Behavioral VA Health Care
Over 43 million people in the U.S. have quit smoking and other tobacco products. You can, too!
Level One Support
Level Two Support
- Level One support for quitting starts with your primary care provider (PCP). Simply talk with your PCP about your interest in quitting. Your PCP can give you tips for quitting and medication options to help.
- Nicotine is an addictive drug, but there are effective and safe methods to beat the addiction.
- If you are not successful, a higher level of care is indicated (i.e., level two or level three support, the QuitSmart program).
Level Three Support the QuitSmart™ program
- Level Two support also starts with your PCP. Each clinic has a tobacco cessation expert trained in the latest ways to help people quit tobacco. Your PCP or the clinic clerk can introduce you to the Behavioral Health Provider in your clinic who is the tobacco cessation expert.
- The tobacco cessation expert can usually see you right away for a brief (15-20 min.) individual visit. The tobacco cessation expert will give you more strategies, and help you design your own quit plan.
- If you wish, the PC staff will help you get medications to increase your chances of success.
- Follow-up will happen in 2-3 brief visits, some of which can be on the telephone.
A new QuitSmart™ group starts every month.
- The most intensive level of support is our specialty program called QuitSmart™.
- The QuitSmart™ program is a 4-session group program designed to help you gain freedom from cigarettes or other forms of tobacco.
This program will help you:
- Outsmart the habit
- Break your nicotine addiction through brand switching and the assistance of nicotine patches or medication
- Minimize weight gain
- Learn coping strategies while quitting
The QuitSmart™ Stop Smoking Kit has powerful tools such as the following:
- QuitSmart™ Guide — featuring information about the nicotine skin patch, Zyban, and other new methods.
- Hypnosis CD/Audiotape — induces relaxation and helps overcome your emotional dependence on cigarettes.
- Better Quit® Cigarette Substitute — a new patented device that has a realistic feel and an adjustable air flow. Use of Better Quit® Cigarette Substitute gradually reduces your habit of handling a cigarette.
Additional Resources for Quitting Tobacco Use. A number of internet guides to help you quit smoking are also available. Find these links at the top right of the page under References.
|* Link will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked web sites. The link will open in a new window.
|** Link will take you to another government agency outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site (VA). The link will open in a new window.