Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

New York/New Jersey VA Health Care Network


VISN 2: Student Opportunities - Students Paid by VA

male and female students sitting in classroom
bronze arrow
Student Opportunities
bronze arrow
Students Paid by VA
bronze arrow
Students Not Paid by VA
bronze arrow
Medical/Dental Residents
bronze arrow
Education Contacts
What needs to be done before you can come to VA for a Student Clinical Experience?

A limited number of paid student positions occur each academic year that are funded by the Office of Academic Affiliations. These paid positions vary by site and may include trainees in nursing, social work, psychology, occupational & physical therapy, and audiology & speech therapy. Students are selected by the school and VA site.

The college or university must have a complete and up to date Affiliation Agreement signed between VA and the school.

The school must contact the Education Office to determine whether VA has appropriate staff to serve as preceptors or clinical directors of training to supervise and work with you, as a student.

What do you need to bring with you the 1st day?
Make sure you have a printer available. When you complete the printed forms, keep a copy of your personal information (name, social security number, etc.). To protect your privacy do not send this information electronically.
  1. Two forms of personal identification.
    • Please note that the name on the identification must match exactly (If one ID has a full middle name, and the other has a middle initial, then the initial must match).
    • One State or Federal ID must contain a photograph.
    • Both IDs must be original documents and currently valid, not expired.
    • Examples of acceptable identification includes: State-Issued Drivers License, Social Security Card, U.S. Passport, State Voter Registration Card, School ID with photograph, etc.
  2. If applicable, bring a copy of your professional license.
  3. Complete the Application for Health Professions Trainee. VA Form 10-2850d 
  4. Complete the Appointment Affidavit. SF-61
  5. Complete, print and sign as appropriate the Declaration of Federal Employment — OF-306
  6. Read, print and sign the Rules of Behavior. VA Handbook 6500
  7. Complete the request for Personal Verification Card. VA Form 0711
  8. Check with your Preceptor/Director of Training about any health report documents that your are required to present at VA.